Monday, July 22, 2013

One extraordinary and ten interesting things found in Kenya

Having stayed in Nairobi a month with the CSC Kenya 7 Team. I found 1 extraordinary and 10 interesting things. In fact, it is more than ten but I would like to pick the top ten for my closing.

Extraordinary
  1. Friendly Kenyan: Every Kenyan I met was friendly and kindness. It was not only adult but children. The children have cheerful smiling, they wave hands when they see you. I don't feel any risk while I walk alone.


Ten interesting things 
1. Traffic:
Traffic in Nairobi is really challenging. It is not only in a busy hours but happen anytime during the day. You would better reserve 1-1.5 hours even a short distance.



2.  Traffic Light:
In Nariobi, only a few traffic light installed in the city. However, none of them are working. They don't install the traffic lights because the light would be stolen. Someone steal the traffic light!!! Isn't it amazing?

3. Roundabout, Speed breaker/speed bump setup:
To slove the traffic light problem, there are many roundabout build in the main road. Most people think that the roundabout creates traffic.

When you are on the road, you'll feel the car hitting on speed bump because there are many speed breakers installed. So be expect!

4. Kenyan Walk:
Because of the traffic, people are willing to walk rather take a car. Walk could be faster than car. No wonder Kenyan good at marathon.

5. Dusty Road:
While you are walking on the road, you will experience lots of dust. Some cars have black smoke. You can really see and feel it if you use tissue to wrap your face. I always feel my hand dusty and black along nails!


6. Selling
6a. Selling on the road
Due to the traffic, it creates business opportunities. People sell newspapers, fruits, leathers, bags, pillows, tools e.g. screwdriver, wire, sign board etc. Even Kenya President's photo is also available. I'm always in doubt if they make business on the road.  I tried to take pictures from them but it is difficult.

6b. Selling along the road
Besides people selling things on the road. There are different things can be find along the road such as clothes, shoes, suger cane, furniture, lawn, plants, wood, bed stretcher, pottery, tire etc. You can choose whatever you want to buy.








7. Wood Chopping
One of the things that absolute can't find in Hong Kong is wood chopping. People chop the wood by axe and sell them.



8.  Night Walking
In the night, there is no street light. People drive rely on car light. I have trouble walking in the dark. So I always carry my little torch with me to walk in the bumpy road.

9. Task-driven not Time-driven
We have to adjust ourselves to task driven not time driven. You could properly take times to meet with your client even you set the time. When client said 20 mins, it could equivalent to an hour. One hour could be equivalent to few hours. So, be patient and bring something to work before meet with client.

10. Cup of Tea
Kenyan serve tea and coffee to their visitors. It is also part of a culture serve in the mid-morning and afternoon. They serve coffee, tea bag and millo with a bottle of milk. You can choose what you like to mix with milk. Snack always go with tea such as Mandazi (like youtiao/deep-fried breadstick in HK), cake, arrowroot, sausage etc.




If a Kenyan bring along with a wash basin and a bottle of water and ask you wash hands. You're lucky. This is the way they serves their important guest. My buddy, Pauline was very kind and serve me when I visit her home. I was lucky being serve as their VIP.

I hope you can experiences these extraordinary and interesting things when you travel to Kenya.

This is the end of my Win@Kenya blog. Thank you for taking time to read my blog and hope you like it.  It is a wonderful and unforgettable experience in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment